Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Diabetes Blog Week: Day 3

Prompt: May is Mental Health Month so now seems like a great time to explore the emotional side of living with, or caring for someone with, diabetes. What things can make dealing with diabetes an emotional issue for you and / or your loved one, and how do you cope? (Thanks go out to Scott of Strangely Diabetic for coordinating this topic.)

This is a tough one to write, so I think I am going to respond to this with the many thoughts I have tried to convey to people over the years:
I wish you understood what it is like to be standing there with a group of people and suddenly have your sugar crash. It’s embarrassing, it’s uncomfortable, and frankly, it hurts. For a few minutes you feel out of control of your own body and it sucks. Pulse races, sweat beads all over and words start to confuse you. I wish you understood that diabetes does not make me less of a person. Please don’t stand around and whisper like I am dead. “Oh” you say in hushed tones as I pass. “She has the diabetes, you know.” I am not dead, we are not memorializing my defunct pancreas.
Yes. I can eat that cupcake.

Sometimes diabetes makes me want to cry. Sometimes it makes me want to laugh. Sometimes it confuses the hell out of me. My body is basically waging war on itself;  I am allowed to be emotional about it sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment