Thursday, May 16, 2013

Diabetes Blog Week: Day Four

We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you’ve made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes. No accomplishment is too big or too small – think about self-acceptance, something you’ve mastered (pump / exercise / diet / etc.), making a tough care decision (finding a new endo or support group / choosing to use or not use a technology / etc.)


It will be eight years in October. Sometimes it seems like time has flown by, and other times I can’t honestly remember life before diabetes. I have accomplished a lot in the past eight years, but I know that there are so many other things that are still out there. I’ve raised a lot of money for the JDRF, and I know that I can do my part to raise even more. I graduated high school. I graduated college. I moved across the country by myself. I got into grad school. I went to three foreign countries by myself (four if you count Canada). I got an insulin pump. I stood up to bullies who teased me about my illness. I learned not to cry at an IV or blood tests. 

Some are larger feats than others, but all special in their own way. 

I still have goals that want to accomplish. I want to graduate with my Master’s. I want to work in educational administration. I want to teach overseas. I want to get married one day and maybe have a family. I want to see my nephews grow up. I want to one day see an end to diabetes. 

I want to live a life that I can look back on and say, “diabetes didn’t stop me”. I already am.

No comments:

Post a Comment