Friday, January 18, 2013

Irish Tea

The Founding Mother of the Sisters of Mercy, Catherine MacAuley, was a fan of tea time. Everyone who came to visit her did not leave without drinking at least one cup of tea. When Sr. Jeanne came from Omaha to visit us during our fall retreat, she brought Irish Tea for each of the houses.

Last night, feeling overwhelmed with a lot of feelings, and with an upset stomach, I made myself a cup of Irish tea, which was followed by a second cup, and then a third. Each time, I put half a packed of sweetener in the cup with some milk. It was comforting. It was soothing. I had the trailer to myself, which is an unusual occurrence, I had my book and a pillow on the couch, and I had some much needed time to just be me.

I talked with my mom for over an hour last night and was able to think things through a lot today about what I had posted earlier this week. I had been getting myself so caught up in what I was going to do next year, what direction I needed to be headed in that I was losing sight of what was happening in the here and now.

Looking into the numerous organizations and graduate schools that are out there, I have concluded that I am unsure of what I want to do next. There are so many possibilities and if I rush the decision to find something to do next year, I could be making a huge mistake. I've decided that I am not applying to any programs for the upcoming year...I know I want to go to grad school, but I want to change my focus. I already have a degree in education, which has served me pretty well thus far. But, what could I do with a different degree that would keep me in the realm of education? What if I considered being a guidance counselor or going into administration? I know that the education world is where I belong, but I want the next career move I make to be one that I will be satisfied with in the long run.

Although the classroom will always hold my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment