Thursday, October 10, 2013

Happy Dia-versary

8 years ago today, I started the biggest battle of my life.
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 14 years old. I missed two months of my sophomore year of high school and lost a lot of my peace of mind. To date, I have tested my blood sugar over 15,000 times, taken more than 8,000 insulin injections, and been hospitalized twice.
My high school guidance counselor told me I was too sick to go to college and suggested I "try" community college if I wanted a challenge. In April of my senior year, I was given a track scholarship to attend Cabrini. In May of 2012, I graduated with honors from college, and started my first teaching job in Arizona. I've traveled the world and I have seen some wonderful things and met fantastic people.
I've been hiking in the Grand Canyon. I've been to the Eiffel Tower. I've played soccer in the streets of Ecuador. I'm in my second year as a teacher, and in my second semester of graduate school. I am not letting this disease stop me. I won't back down from a challenge. I will continue to face diabetes head on and champion for a cure.
In 8 years, I've done more than what people expected of me. I've build a career for myself. I've become successful at what I do. I've helped raise millions of dollars for a cure. And, I am no where near done fighting.
Until we find a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment